Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is our first Friday without a sales in probably years! :mad:

Comment

We were down 50% last year, and it is looking even worse this year. We're in the bridal business, and according to our vendors the brick and mortar bridal shops are blaming the internet sites for their dismal business--what a joke! Many of our online competitors have gone out of business! Seems like it is just a sign of the times.

Comment

one sale this morning! :)

Comment

Originally posted by rrw View Post
          We were down 50% last year, and it is looking even worse this year. We're in the bridal business, and according to our vendors the brick and mortar bridal shops are blaming the internet sites for their dismal business--what a joke! Many of our online competitors have gone out of business! Seems like it is just a sign of the times.

I've heard the same thing in my industry - that brick and mortar stores blame internet shops for their dismal business. This always frustrates me. I do understand the issue with excessive discounting and how that can hurt sales for everyone. But what many brick and mortar-only stores fail to understand is that customers are choosing to purchase online for many reasons including convenience. I believe for those who have chosen to not launch online "divisions" of their stores that they're foolishly refusing to follow the trends. Many companies don't realize that it's their responsibility to follow and keep up with the trends in the marketplace. Although I will say that as far as I'm concerned - they can delay as long as they want. Less competition for us.

Many large companies finally got the hint and started online stores within the last few years. And it's there that they're sinking much of their marketing dollars versus their brick and mortar stores.

But I agree that so much of what's going on is just a sign of the times.

Comment

This past summer was slower than normal, however, late summer seems to be rebounding, for us. September seems to be picking up gradually as fall looms nearer. Let's hope there's a great comeback to finish off 09 :)
            www.concession-supply.com

Comment

We started 2 years ago and have gradually and slowly grown, but this summer things really started to pick up, more than doubling our business from the summer before. Hard for me to say (since we're fairly new) if it's the economy improving or if we're just seeing our business grow naturally.

We are just now entering into our busy season, so things will pick up anyway (hopefully), but if we double our fall/winter business from last year, just as we did from summer to summer, we'll be VERY happy.

This hasn't been my full-time job, but that's the goal, and it's looking more and more like that will be a comfortable and easy transition to make soon. Here's hoping.
              www.KarensCookies.net
              Cookie Decorating Simplified

Comment

wow,

we are about 1/3 less sales this year than previous years.

Stinks! :(

Comment

We were going great until July(up 25% + YTD on June 30th). Since then we've tanked. Down over 20%-30% July, Aug, Sept, Oct all down. Aug-Dec are usually our best and well over 50% of the year. Oct barely beat our worst month. :confused:

Maybe need to start selling cookie decorating stuff except my wife would buy half of it :-)

No I wont show her your site!
                  Last edited by mondo; 11-05-2009, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mondo View Post
                    Maybe need to start selling cookie decorating stuff except my wife would buy half of it :-)

No I wont show her your site!
                    funny :) Well percentages are one thing, but who knows if my really good months bring in as much as some of other people's bad months. We're just working out of our basement and still kind of scraping by. Sure hoping to get it working long term!

We've actually been really lucky in some regards, one of which is Spain. For some reason we hit a market there, and we're shipping there every single day. I've had people tell me that cookie decorating is just picking up there, and for whatever reason our site is the one being passed around, posted on blogs, etc.. I also speak spanish, and have been able to answer questions, take orders, etc.. just two coincidental things that crossed in a good way for us.

I need to figure out how to hit other little markets like that.

Hopefully now that we're in the Christmas shopping season, things will pick up for all of us for the next few weeks.
                    www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

it still pays for itself, but, we may have to rethink things if it doesn't improve. :(

Comment

Were home based too (full time) and have gone from making a living to digging a hole last couple of months.

Comment

Sales were dismal this weekend. ouch.

Comment

Our sales were decreased by 50% this Nov. as opposed to the last previous 2years in Nov. Black Friday was horrible and cyber monday not much better! :( :confused:

Sry to hear the same for you Mark!

Comment

Sorry to hear those that didn't have a good Cyber Monday / Black Friday weekend. Black Friday was nothing special for us (wasn't expecting more) but I offered free shipping and sent out a newsletter for Cyber Monday and actually had a great day, with a great Tuesday to follow.

Just hoping so badly we can keep up a good pace for the rest of the year.

Hope things pick up all around.

Mike
                              www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

orders are picking up somewhat.....we attended a dealer conference and now back to work! :)

Comment

Working...
                                X