No announcement yet.

Removing verification / captcha on MyAccount page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love so many of the new features in Version 3, but this captcha really irks me. I have also encountered the "ones and Ls" issue, just running test orders through my new site. It's very frustrating, the captcha phrase is too long, and it is required for accessing information that, as has been stated, is not really sensitive. I thought it was an especially good point that we do not even have to get past a captcha in order to log in to our 3DCart admin panels, where there is an obvious need for security. So that can't be the issue.

I appreciate 3DCart's attempt to help us avoid annoying spambots, but there's got to be a better way. I was so excited to be moving my site to 3DCart from MC, but I have to tell you, this new captcha requirement is giving me headaches in advance just thinking about all the unhappy customer calls and e-mails I'll be getting when we transfer them over.

PLEASE reconsider this option, or at the very least, the particular captcha that's been chosen. I'd really rather not have it at all, but if nothing else, let's find a smarter captcha.

Comment

I was talking to a friend who works at Amazon.com (they do not have a captcha on their login) and learned one thing they do that prevents fraud.

Amazon allows you to store credit cards and use them on future purchases. So, if someone was able to hack into your account or someone got your username and password and logged in, they could conceivably change the shipping information and use the stored credit card information to purchase something. But Amazon prevents these orders from going through by requiring any changed addresses to be approved by the original account holder email address.

This kind of security, or simply locking out an account after X number of failed attempts within a certain period of time makes more sense than requiring someone to use captcha when logging in to their account.

Comment

it makes good sense to have it when you register but not when you log in. how can a bot login when it requires an email + password. The password is the blocker. maybe have a limited time login attempts / time value that you set in your admin.

and why is there a verification on register on main page but not when you add item to cart and then proceed to checkout and register there?

I put in a ticket for that.

the letters are always lower case so o and 0 is not that much a problem as the 1 and l are. at least take off the letter l.

and why does everything dissappear when the verification fails and you click the back button?

Doug

Comment

Sucks Big Time

THis entore system sucks. I've lost customers since I moved to 3d because of this one issue. I could you a dozen emails from people that tell me to let them know when I actually have a user friendly login and they;ll come back.

The powers that be ***Claim*** that it is a requirement, but that just isn't true. Volusion, Monster Commerce, Yahoo stores, just to name a few. THOSE stores don't require it. I truely believer it is a ***Recommended*** part of the gateway, but in no way is it required by the credit card providers.

My business if off 50% since I moved to 3d. I know part of that is the economy, but I also believe a good part of that is the non-friendly user experience. The bad thing is - The week I signed up for 3d there was an option to turn it off, then once I sighed up and moved my store here, suddenly turning it off wasn't an option. I'd've never moved here if I'd known that. Now I'm stuck. Don't have the money to move to another provider and can't get customers to buy things so I can have the money to move.

K

Comment

There is a thread recently where I showed how to completely remove it from ALL website pages (CRM, Checking, Order, etc)

Comment

Also if helpfull, here's the/a thread on this.
              http://forums.3dcart.com/new-feature...ne-number.html
              And in it:
              Originally Posted by GonzaloGil View Post
              The work around proposed will work, but, if you visit any page that has the captcha image, including the admin pages, then it won't let you submit..

What we are doing to address this on the next release is to remove the captcha on login forms until there is X unsuccessful attempts to log in. This will make it easier for customers, and, still be compliant with the security standards we follow. On other forms such as CRM and Contact form, we are thinking about making it optional, with the default set to ON, so if store owners don't mind getting random spam, they can turn it off.
              Last edited by mondo; 01-14-2010, 06:18 PM.

Comment

I was trying to do a test "review" for a product, and encountered the captcha myself. I thought I typed it exactly as shown, but was given an error message and redirected back to the page. I tried typing it again, several times, with the same result.

I submitted a ticket, and was told that the page needed to be refreshed after receiving an error, in order to generate a new word. Now, how should someone know this??? The button says "Click here to continue" and takes you back to the captcha page--shouldn't it automatically refresh the page? I know if I couldn't figure it out a customer probably wouldn't either. Hopefully someone at 3d can make that change--it might eliminate some of the problems that we are having.

Comment

saw this in other thread posted 12/7/2009
                  Originally posted by GonzaloGil
                  The work around proposed will work, but, if you visit any page that has the captcha image, including the admin pages, then it won't let you submit..

What we are doing to address this on the next release is to remove the captcha on login forms until there is X unsuccessful attempts to log in. This will make it easier for customers, and, still be compliant with the security standards we follow. On other forms such as CRM and Contact form, we are thinking about making it optional, with the default set to ON, so if store owners don't mind getting random spam, they can turn it off.

Comment

I know you guys at 3DCart are working to change this, but we just got yet another e-mail from a frustrated customer highlighting just why this is so important for us merchants:

"Hey! You've made it impossible for me to log in. First, you say my password is incorrect; then, when i request that you send my password, you insist that my "verification word" is incorrect--four times in a row! What on earth is going on with your web site? Why is it unnecessarily complicated to order from you, each and every time? Yikes! Deborah R----------"

Comment

hence why I ripped it out of my entire site and all webpages.

Comment

Originally posted by rrw View Post
                        I was trying to do a test "review" for a product, and encountered the captcha myself. I thought I typed it exactly as shown, but was given an error message and redirected back to the page. I tried typing it again, several times, with the same result.

I submitted a ticket, and was told that the page needed to be refreshed after receiving an error, in order to generate a new word. Now, how should someone know this??? The button says "Click here to continue" and takes you back to the captcha page--shouldn't it automatically refresh the page? I know if I couldn't figure it out a customer probably wouldn't either. Hopefully someone at 3d can make that change--it might eliminate some of the problems that we are having.
                        Which is exactly what was happening to our very frustrated customer...and her frustration only escalated with every roadblock she encountered. She wrote back:

"Thank you for your prompt reply and your explanation of the need for the verification word. I order many things on line, and virtually none of the companies from which I order require this word, despite whatever law that was enacted. Meanwhile, just now I attempted to order without logging in, and your web site would not permit me to do so, saying my email address was already on file and I had to log in. Something is seriously wrong here, and I’m very frustrated. Surely you are losing business this way! I love your products, but I’m running out of patience.

I suppose I’ll call and order by phone, but that’s a hassle too. Oh well."

Comment

doberer, how were you able to remove it? I would love to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by doberer View Post
                            There is a thread recently where I showed how to completely remove it from ALL website pages (CRM, Checking, Order, etc)
                            Can't find the thread, can you point us in the right direction?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by lml View Post
                              Can't find the thread, can you point us in the right direction?

Thanks.
                              http://forums.3dcart.com/new-feature...ne-number.html

Comment

Thanks for the link, didn't work for me thou.
                                I tried it for the contact page & still got an error message, even thou it had removed the CAPTCHA image.

I think I will just wait for 3D's change...hopefully in the next release.

Comment

Working...
                                X